Thursday, February 4, 2021

My Experience With Ubuntu On My Surface Pro 2

 

Ubuntu 20.04 (Screenshot by OMG! Ubuntu!)

A while ago, I decided to try out Ubuntu on my Surface Pro 2. I thought that since my sister's laptop ran Kubuntu so well, I figured that I should give Ubuntu a try on my Surface Pro 2. I also run Debian on my main machine, so I figured that Ubuntu wouldn't be too bad to try.

Installation

Installation wasn't hard. I booted into the USB drive after repeatedly trying to boot from it. I went through the installation process of Ubuntu 20.04. It was all fine and everything worked. I decided to erase Windows 8.1, since my Surface Pro 2 only has 128GB of internal storage, (which I would later regret). 

My Experience

When I booted it up initially, it wouldn't boot. I had to disable Secure boot, which made a bright red background before booting into Ubuntu. I thought this was weird, since I had heard that Ubuntu would just work with Secure Boot. After booting and inserting my password, I was greeted with the desktop. Ubuntu made the screen resolution really small, so I couldn't touch stuff as easily. I fixed this by using fractional scaling, a new feature with Ubuntu 20.04. 

After updating the system, I found many issues with Ubuntu. Touch wouldn't work and the TypeCover wouldn't work in certain apps. A reboot fixed this issue though. After having these issues, I decided to try the surface-linux kernel, as I heard it made the experience much better.

After installing the kernel, I decided to try and take my Surface Pro 2 to school. I faced a number of headaches with Ubuntu at school. It wouldn't suspend properly, so the tablet would heat up in my bag. Sometimes, it wouldn't even wake up. I had frequent crashes that would force me to restart the operating system. Touch wouldn't work with certain apps, and it was overall a horrible experience. 

I would not recommend installing Ubuntu on a Surface Pro 2. I admire the work of the linux-surface team, but I feel like the Surface Pro 2 is just not meant for Linux. If you want to have a Linux laptop, consider a ThinkPad device, as I have heard they are much better for Linux. Overall, I did not like my experience using Ubuntu on my Surface Pro 2, and I reinstalled Windows 8.1 shortly after using it. If you have any solutions to the issues I faced, feel free to comment below. Thank you for reading my article.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transitioning to a new Blog

 Hi there! If you are reading this, I am informing you that I have moved my blog to a new website! You can check it out at wolf1e.web.app ! ...