Tuesday, November 17, 2020

My Personal Top 5 Linux Distributions of 2020

 Hey guys, I am going to review my personal top five Linux distributions for this year. These distros, (distributions), are ones that I have personally used in the year of 2020. You may not agree with what I say, but that is alright. We are all human beings and we have our own opinions. These distros are just the ones that I selected because I thought they were the best.

5. Ubuntu


Ubuntu is a great distro for beginners and more advanced Linux users looking for a stable option. I put this at number five because I have not had the best experience with Ubuntu. I had issues with the proprietary drivers, and I hated the experience. It is still a great distro, as I ran it on my Macbook for a long time using the Unity desktop. If you have to use Ubuntu, you should definitely install the Unity Desktop Environment. It makes the experience much better, even if it is outdated. You can download it by typing sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop. Ubuntu is a great distro for beginners coming from Windows and more advanced Linux users looking for a more stable experience.

4. Arch Linux


Arch Linux is a great distro of Linux for those who want a bleeding edge experience. I used it for a month or so, and it was great. I could install very little packages and still have an amazing Linux experience bloat free. However, I did have some issues with Arch. For example, I could not get the NVIDIA drivers working for me whatsoever apart from the Open Source drivers. I have a very old NVIDIA card, a GT 8800, and the latest drivers do not support it anymore. Trying to get proprietary drivers working was a nightmare, and it ultimately caused my install to break. That is one of the things with Arch Linux; things can and will break, and you have to fix them. If you are a more advanced Linux user or are curious as to how Linux works its magic, try Arch Linux.

3. Manjaro Linux


Manjaro is a great distro for gaming and stability. It is based on Arch Linux, but it is more stable than Arch, as it has its own repositories and package system. They hold packages from Arch Linux for about two weeks in their testing branch, then they put the package into their stable repositories. This makes Manjaro a pretty stable distro. I really liked the XFCE version of Manjaro, as it was fast and fluid. I did not have any problems with it, although a Discord user linked me to a GitHub repository that told me how Manjaro is not great, so I switched to Arch Linux. Overall, Manjaro is great if you want to game on Linux and have a stable system.

2. Debian GNU/Linux

Debian is a great distro for those who want just plain and simple stability. Debian runs on many servers, but it is a great option on the desktop as well. I used to use it with GNOME, XFCE, awesomewm, and even dwm. Debian could handle it all, and it never broke apart from the time that I broke the bootloader. The only downside is that the software in the repositories tends to be old; however, you can use the testing or even the unstable branch of Debian for the latest software. If you want new software without compromising Debian's amazing stability and security, you can use flatpaks or AppImages. Both are great methods of software delivery without compromising Debian in any way. If you are looking for a stable experience that you can rely on, you should use Debian.

1. Fedora Linux

Fedora is great for developers and those looking to get into GNOME. I am a developer, as I made my own Discord bot and host it too. I also love the GNOME workflow more than any other workflow, and that includes window managers too. Fedora ships with a stock GNOME experience, and it is one of the best distros for it. I love the dnf package manager because it is more legible than apt or pacman to me. It comes with no proprietary software out of the box, and it is one of the best distros I have tried when it comes to NVIDIA. Fedora is also really stable, and it stores two additional kernels in case something breaks. The only disadvantages is that you need to enable the RPMFusion repositories in order to get things like multimedia codecs and proprietary graphics drivers. Other than that, Fedora is just a great distro, and I have been using it for a while now. That is why I placed it at number one on my top five list of distributions. 

Thank you for reading. There are links below to each respective distribution.

  1. Fedora Linux 
  2. Debian GNU/Linux 
  3. Manjaro Linux
  4. Arch Linux
  5. Ubuntu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transitioning to a new Blog

 Hi there! If you are reading this, I am informing you that I have moved my blog to a new website! You can check it out at wolf1e.web.app ! ...